Many people are unaware of the meaning of accreditation in the U.S. and what it entails. Students should be aware that there are many different standards within the American educational system: a graduate from one College will not have received exactly the same education as the graduate from another. In the USA, since there is no Ministry of Higher Education to ensure the general standard of quality, there exists a voluntary process called “Accreditation”. It is a system for recognizing educational institutions that have achieved certain standards of academic excellence. The US is divided into 6 regions, each region coming under the purview of an accrediting agency.
- The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- The New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- The Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Courses offered by Broward College at ACHE are SACS Accredited, and ACHE is approved by the US regional accrediting commission Southern Association of Colleges and schools (SACS) USA.